Birds can be a destructive force of nature if they are allowed to inhabit a home or a business. Birds have been known to cause damage to roofs, buildings, ventilation systems with their droppings and nesting materials. Most people want to know what they can do to discourage birds from nesting near their homes or businesses. It seems like once birds move into an area they start and raise a family which can be problematic for many reasons. In this article you will learn more about identifying when you have a problem that needs to be dealt with as well as the various effective products that can be used to eliminate that problem.
- Roof damage – bird droppings are extremely acidic and can damage roofing materials. In particular, the substrates can be damaged which are the base of roofing materials with tar content. An accumulation of bird droppings can reduce the life expectancy of a roof, so it is extremely important to deal with this important issue before it becomes a costly problem.
- Fire Hazard – bird nests are very flammable because they contain dried materials that are highly combustible. These materials can help to ignite dangerous fires on rooftops.
- Blockage of Ventilation Systems – bird nests can be found inside of ventilation systems and chimneys which can block the flow of air. If a chimney is blocked then there is the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning because the fireplace is not being properly exhausted. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent killer and can lead to death.
- Damage to Automobiles – bird droppings can damage the top coat and the paint on a vehicle. If droppings sit on the paint they can seriously damage the paint.
- Blockage of Roof Drainage – Nests built on corners of roofs and in gutters can block drains. Once the water begins to back up it can cause a lot of damage as well as the risk of roof collapse.
Once you have determined that you have an issue, the next step is to deal with it. A professional pest control company is going to cost quite a bit of money and most homeowners do not want to spend a lot of money on this option. The good news is that pestrol.co.nz is a user-friendly website that has plenty of options for affordable and effective bird control products. Here are the best bird deterrents available in New Zealand and the most commonly ordered and used products available from pestrol:
- Bird Spikes: These spikes are constructed from UV resistant polycarbonate and stainless steel. Each strip is one meter in length and is simple to install and will keep birds away on a permanent basis. The best part is that these strips will stay in place unless you remove them and never need to be replaced. Spikes are a great option for roof tops and other places where birds will perch. When the surface is uncomfortable, birds will avoid them and move to another area that they find more “user-friendly”.
- Bird Repeller: Used in mainly commercial applications, the Pestrol Commercial Bird Repeller 1000 helps to deter birds in larger areas. The repeller emits loud noises which are mainly of birds of prey and this sound travels to cover over an acre.
- Water Jet Bird Repeller: This is an effective device for birds and for other animals. This is a motion sensored device that can detect movement from up to ten meters away. Set up is easy with a connection to any garden hose. A few blasts from this device and the wildlife will steer clear of your home or business. The best part is that the device is completely cruelty-free.
- Pestrol Scary Eyes Bird Scarer: This inflatable balloon is heavy duty and looks similar to an owl. Birds that are preyed upon by owls will be frightened by the appearance of this balloon. Birds are frightened away from rooftops, gardens, fruit trees and other areas that you want to keep bird-free. The eyes on “scary eyes” are holographic and follow pest birds as they pass by.
- Bird Repellant Gel: This repellant gel can be spread on any surface to prevent birds from nesting there. The gel is harmless but birds do not like it. They will avoid it and in doing so, will pass right by the surface that you have spread it onto.
- Pestrol Rotating Head Owl Bird Scarer: This device is realistic to small birds because it moves and is completely unpredictable. The decoy is non-electric, environmentally friendly and scares small birds away. The device is manufactured from extremely durable plastic and will cover a 20m radius.
Whether you choose bird repellents or bird spikes or a combination of the two options, you can easily take control of any bird problem that occurs. Once birds move in and begin nesting it can be difficult to get rid of them. The better option is to deter them from nesting in the first place. Birds are necessary in the environment and have their place in the ecosystem, but not your home or business.
Instead of hiring a professional pest control company, you can save a great deal of money by purchasing any of these above-described products. All of these products have been chosen by Pestrol because they are effective and have been tried and tested. Most importantly, each product is one that repels birds from your business or home once it has been installed. Pestrol is a user-friendly company that offers a wide range of products so that everyone can find a solution that is best suited to their issue. Pestrol stands behind their products so if you ever purchase a product that does not work as expected, lease return it for a full refund. Pestrol is a company that you can trust with your pest problem, so take a look around their site and see which products will work the best for your problem.